You know, if you're recently arrested, you're probably scared about going back to jail. You're wondering what happens next and thinking, “Did I just screw up my life?”
I'm Jason English. I'm a former prosecutor who represents good people facing criminal and drunk driving charges. When I talk to people in your situation, I usually tell them, “Hey, number one, go do some research, learn a little bit, and then number two, find the right lawyer.”
With that being said, the most important thing is don't wait. You know, delays are going to limit your options, and while most people think, “Well, I'll just stick my head in the sand and don't do anything. Maybe this thing will go away.” But a criminal case is not going to go away if you don't do anything about it. Also, if you're proactive, you're going to really get better results.
Number one, do some research and learn about the situation.
You know, we have a ton of free materials and content on our website. For you, we've got frequently asked questions, brochures, what to do or dealing with the community justice system. We've got books on What to Do When You're Arrested. We've got 19 Things That Your Criminal Defense Attorney Wishes You Knew, An Action List When Someone Is Arrested. We've got Tips for Dealing With Police. We have a ton of material on our website. It's there to help better inform you and you can make a decision, make better decisions when you're better informed.
Number two, find the right lawyer.
You're going to really need to look for someone who was a former prosecutor who spent time prosecuting these cases on the other side. Why do you ask that? Or why do you wonder that? Because they're the ones that have prosecuted likely what you're facing. They've got the experience and the relationships to be able to handle these cases and get you the best outcome.
You know, you need to read the reviews online. You can learn a lot from what a former client would tell you. It would tell you what to expect if that person handles your case. Then also go talk to the lawyer. You'll have that consultation and see if you're a good fit.
Number three, hire the best lawyer.
You know, some people wait and wonder, “Well, maybe I'll just get a court-appointed lawyer” when they get to court. You know, there are some fantastic lawyers who do court appointed work, but there are some crappy ones too. And you probably don't want to risk your future on getting a lawyer who doesn't care about your case or isn't getting paid enough money to spend the time with you and your case. You know, some people wonder, “Can I afford to hire a lawyer?” Well, can you afford not to? What's it going to cost you in the long run if you end up with a crappy lawyer and a crappy outcome versus what the price you're going to pay today is to get the best lawyer you can afford.
You know, being arrested is big deal. It puts you and your future at risk. And when you're ready to talk to a great crimial defense lawyer, it's easy to have that free consultation. Just give us a call at 512-454-7548. But if you can't work with us, you need to go find another good lawyer and work with them. Now that you know what to do, go do it. You cannot afford not to.
Jason S. English has been recognized as one of the top Criminal Defense Lawyers in Austin.
If you have recently been arrested in Austin you need the right lawyer to help you and protect your future. No one calls us because they have been arrested, they call us because of what the arrest can do to their future. Jason S English Law, PLLC handles misdemeanor and felony criminal and DWI cases as a part of its practice - we know how to prepare your case to meet your goals. Call now at 512-454-7548 to get the help you need for you and your future.
Jason English Outlines Key Next Steps after Arrested in Austin For a Misdemeanor
Facing an arrest for a misdemeanor in Austin, Texas can be a stressful and uncertain experience. However, it's crucial to remain calm and take appropriate steps to protect your rights and navigate the legal process effectively. In this article, we will outline key actions to take after being arrested for a misdemeanor in Austin, Texas, to help you understand your rights and seek the best possible outcome.
- Exercise Your Right to Remain Silent: Upon arrest, it's essential to exercise your right to remain silent. Avoid making any statements or admissions to law enforcement officers, as anything you say can be used against you later. Politely but firmly invoke your right to remain silent and request an attorney before answering any questions.
- Contact an Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney: Without delay, seek the assistance of Jason English, an experienced criminal defense attorney, who specializes in misdemeanor cases in Austin, Texas. The team at Jason English Law will provide invaluable guidance, protect your rights, and build a strong defense strategy tailored to your specific situation. Remember, anything you discuss with your attorney is confidential and protected by attorney-client privilege.
- Understand Your Charges and Potential Consequences: Work closely with your attorney to understand the specific misdemeanor charges filed against you. Familiarize yourself with the elements of the offense and the potential consequences you may face. This includes potential fines, probation, community service, enrollment in counseling programs, or even jail time. Your attorney will help you assess the strength of the prosecution's case and explore possible defense strategies.
- Attend All Court Appearances: Comply with all court orders and attend each scheduled court appearance. Failing to appear can result in additional charges and a warrant for your arrest. Consult with your attorney to ensure you are well-prepared for each court date and aware of any specific requirements or documents you need to bring.
- Follow Legal Advice and Guidance: Your attorney will provide you with legal advice and guidance throughout the process. Follow their instructions carefully, as they are tailored to protect your interests and achieve the best possible outcome. Be open and honest with your attorney, providing them with all relevant information to assist in building your defense.
- Explore Plea Bargain Options: In some cases, your attorney may negotiate a plea bargain with the prosecution, which can result in reduced charges or penalties. Discuss the possibility of a plea bargain with your attorney and evaluate the potential benefits and drawbacks. Your attorney will help you make an informed decision based on your specific circumstances.
- Prepare for Trial, if Necessary: If your case proceeds to trial, work closely with your attorney to prepare a solid defense strategy. Your attorney will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and develop compelling arguments on your behalf. Cooperate fully with your attorney, provide them with any requested information or documents promptly, and attend all trial-related proceedings.
Being arrested for a misdemeanor in Austin, Texas is a serious matter, but taking appropriate steps after your arrest can help protect your rights and achieve the best possible outcome.
Get with the team at Jason S. English Law, PLLC; when following their guidance, understanding your charges, and working diligently on your defense, you can navigate the legal process with greater confidence and increase your chances of a favorable resolution.
Facing legal trouble in Austin, Texas? Don't navigate the complexities of the criminal justice system alone. Call Jason English, a former prosecutor turned dedicated criminal defense attorney, who knows the ins and outs of both sides of the law. With his experience and expertise, he'll fight fiercely to protect your rights and secure the best possible outcome.